Week 2 Chat session Transcript 3/25/2012 -- (Too long to post as a reply to Week 2 discussion)

Troy: I have read all lessons but I have not memorized very much.

George: Well, fearless leader only got through 1 1/2 lessons to my chagrin, but I think I have them under control.

Troy: Just when it starts to make sense the tutorial adds another layer of stuff and nocks me back down, but I am learning so it is good.

George: Anyone starting late is not going to see the preceding material

George: This chat is not up to snuff for us.

Ok, that brings us to now and we can start talking, without loosing anything

Wes, Troy, are you here?

Wes Stack  I'm here.

12:10 PM

Beverly Beu Haas   Hi George and Wes. Sorry to be late. I had sinus surgery this past week and was unable to get to homework. I hope it's okay to listen in, though.

June Kinsinger  i am here

George: Wes and Troy say they read all, but did not retain too spectacularly

June Kinsinger  i agree with others...the exercises were great but referring back and redoing helps grasp the tasks

George: I read less but have a fair handle

Wes Stack  I would be anxious to put the concepts into action. Think I'll learn them better that way.

Troy Bungart I just need to find time to keep re reading it.

June Kinsinger   i found taking each task and looking at it as a single entry helps the most having a sample printed out to refer back to helps keep things straight also

Troy Bungart  I know a lot more now than before I started this.

June Kinsinger  yes....and the more entries you make and repeating them helps understand the double entry process

George:   The material will not make a whole lot of sense until we use it, but we can't really use it until we have accounts in hand.

12:16 PM

Wes Stack  I haven't looked at Wave accounting, but would setting up our accounts using that software make us focus on the "how to"?

George:   Let's do that right here. What would be our asset accounts? Please number them

Wes Stack   Asset accounts for what business?

George:   Our own or Joe Potter

1. Cash

Wes Stack

2. Equipment

June Kinsinger

2. pottery wheel

3. chemiclas

opps

Wes Stack

4.clay

George:

5 Checking Account

6. Paypal Account

Wes Stack   I don't use Paypal. How is this account an asset. Do you make a deposit?

June Kinsinger   it can hold cash payments on sales and can be used to pay payables

Wes Stack   OK

Troy Bungart   I use paypal, mine is an asset

George:    When people buy my stuff on etsy the money collects there

Wes Stack

Learned something already!

George:   

7. Accounts receivable

12:24 PM

June Kinsinger

liabilities? accounts payable

George:   Not done with assets yet

June Kinsinger

ooops

George:   Anyone?

Troy Bungart   is stock an asset?

George:    Is it part of the business or separate from the business?

Troy Bungart   It is what is going to be sold hopfuly

George:    Your Stock is inventory - I have an accountant's input on that.

12:28 PM

Troy Bungart   Okay.  right, if I counted materials and finished product the materials would be counted twice.

June Kinsinger   inventory would be asset. i was thinking of stock in a company outside of your personal business

12:31 PM

George:    He said leave everything as raw materials until it is going out the door as finished goods. Everything is tracked as cost of goods sold.

Troy Bungart   okay

George:    Finished pots on the shelf are nothing but clay and glaze.

12:33 PM

George:   The remaining typical asset accounts would be office supplies, Furniture, buildings, land, vehicles

George:    OK, we have a list of asset accounts. Some are actually items within accounts. Equipment is an account containing wheel, kiln, pug mill, etc.

Can someone condense and repost the asset accounts?

June Kinsinger   i can

Wes Stack   Would there be accounts for chemicals, clay, etc. or would they be under one account such as "materials"?

12:38 PM

George:    Good observation - Raw materials would be a good account

June Kinsinger    1. checking acct   2. raw materials   3. equipment   4. paypal acct   
5. accounts receivable

Troy Bungart

cash, checking, paypal, office supplies, equipment, materials, furniture, buildings, land, vehicles

George:    Do any of you in your businesses have any other assets that don't fit well under categories we have named?

12:42 PM

Troy Bungart   I don't think so.

Wes Stack

No, but I've never accounted for furniture and land in my accounting. How do those work?

12:45 PM

George:    They don't enter into your profit/loss picture, but they can be used in your balance sheet to show the value of your business in the event you need to get a loan to expand your business.

June Kinsinger   our accountant uses a %age calculated by the size of my shop space to the actual size of our property

Wes Stack   Thanks both. Good to know!

June Kinsinger  that same percentage is used when calculating taxes as a %age of utilities and such.

12:48 PM

George:    Potters generally find they can't make a successful business just making and selling pots. They often diversify by teaching classes and or offering studio space to other potters.

12:50 PM

George:    Anything else about assets?

June Kinsinger   does anyone know what a going rate would be for private lessons?

12:53 PM

Beverly Beu Haas   still here

12:54 PM

George:    A one on one private lesson should relate to your skill as a potter, as a teacher, the quality of the workspace - all highly variable.

June Kinsinger   thanks Are we continueing next week?

George:    Absolutely - I think we could spend another half hour to finish accounts today.

Wes Stack  let's do it

George:    I will post the remaining chat session for anyone who has to leave.

Troy Bungart  I am still here

George:    OK what would be the liability accounts?

Wes Stack   Accounts payable

June Kinsinger

insrance

utilities

website

Troy Bungart

show fees

rent

George:    No, those are expenses

Troy Bungart   loans

George:    except accounts payable

Notes payable

Mortgages payable

Wes Stack   Is mortgage a liability or expense?

George:    Both?

1:02 PM

George:    The unpaid balance is definitely a liability.  Where would a mortgage payment (for business) be a debit and where a credit?   Let's come back to that one.

Now we need to break down the Owners Equity sub classes.

First Revenues

Wes Stack   goods sold

Troy Bungart  amounts billed or sold for services or products

1:10 PM

OK and services sold - classes, firing space,

Any other Income from the operations of the business?

Troy Bungart   you could sell some raw materials if you are buying in bulk

George:    Rental income is a possibility.  I know potters who do that

Wes Stack  How about value of pieces donated to charities?

George:    No revenue out of that.

1:14 PM

Troy Bungart   what about intellectual property, say I sell a book or dvd

publish a book or dvd

1:15 PM

George:    That would be revenue

I have an unexpected guest I must visit with, so must cut this short. Can you all complete a list of accounts? June and I will combine them into one we will use for Joes Pottery and then provide you with a list of transactions to correctly account for. I will post this by Wednesday evening.

Just post your lists in your own workspaces

Troy Bungart   Thanks George!

Wes Stack   Will do. Thanks much.

George:    We will continue with the lessons 4-6

Views: 44

Videos

• Add Videos

Use These Links to Support Us

Low cost flat lapping disc can be used on you potters wheel if you, drill bat pin holes in it, and provide a trickle of water to cool it. At amazon.com, 120 grit for aggressive material removal. Click the image to purchase 

Members have had great things to say about John Britt's new book, Mid-Range Glazes. Click the image to buy from Amazon.com

Purchase Glazes Cone 6 by Michael Bailey, The Potters Book of Glaze Recipes by Emmanuel Cooper, or Making Marks by Robin Hopper, all available at amazon.comMastering Cone 6 Glazes by John Hesselberth & Ron Roy is now out of print.

Harbor Freight is a great place to find unbeatable prices for better HVLP spray guns with stainless steel parts and serviceable economy models, as well as detail guns, all tested by our members for spraying glazes, as well as compressors to power the guns. As yet no one has tested and commented on the remarkably inexpensive air brushes at harbor freight.

The critter siphon gun is a spray alternative that is well liked by some of our members, and is available at amazon.

Amazon is also a competitive source for photo light tents for shooting professional quality pictures of your work. They also have the EZ Cube brand favored by several of our members. You might also want to purchase the book Photographing Arts, Crafts and Collectibles . . .

If you are up to creating videos of your work or techniques you might want to invest in a flip video camera

Following are a few scales useful for potters. Ohaus Triple Pro Mechanical Triple Beam Balance, 2610g x 0.1g, with Tare $169.00

And finally a low cost clone of the OHaus. The Adam Equipment TBB2610T Triple Beam Mechanical Balance With Tare Beam $99.62

ebay is a great alternative for many tools and the equipment used in the ceramics studio - kilns, wheels, extruders, slab rollers are often listed there both new and used.

Tips for Members

If you just want to spout off, it is best accomplished as a blog posting. If you want to get more guidance and ideas from other members, ask a question as a new discussion topic. In the upper right corner of the lists for both types of posting, you will find an "+Add " button. Clicking it will open an editor where you create your posting. 4/16/2014

© 2024   Created by Andrea Wolf.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service