I have been working on a yellow matte glaze. One of our interns left a bucket of glaze and it looks like the glaze on the apple baker. I have been trying to repeat the glaze and the small ikebana form is as close as I have come. I know it's an iron based yellow as the glaze is red in the bucket. The intern was heading out west and I have not been able to find her. Does anyone have any idea what I could add to mine to make it more yellow? I'm thinking some rutile. Thanks for any advice.

Jeff

Views: 2871

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Nancy
Please let us know Mr. Dermer's response, especially about any spots like Jeff got.
Nice to know Dermer is still making pots, although his disappearance from Clayarts should have been a clue that he has better things to do. Good for him!
~j&j

Nancy Darm Kuefler said:
I just bought a mug from Dan Dermer a couple of weeks ago. Wonderful how our thoughts live on forever on the web. I plan to get in touch with him again in the next few weeks. His glazes are beautiful and I will ask him if he has continued to use this yellow recipe.

If anyone tries it, please let me know.
Jeff
We forgot to ask. Was this one fired in reduction?
If so, maybe this is what Hamer & Hamer call 'iron spot."
(at least we think there has to be reduction for this effect)
Here's a 13th century (Song) iron spot on black. These spots are admittedly a bit large.
http://www.cicadaasianart.com/gallery/Category/5/Item/213/Photos/
~j&j

Jeff Gieringer said:
J&J,
The spots do come from the glaze, that's why I couldn't understand why they didn't show up with Alisa's 2 glazes. I'll keep you updated as we continue our testing.
J&J,

This was fired ^6 oxidation. I'm going to try and get a couple of tests done in the next couple of weeks if I can. We're really busy right now trying to get ready for the Buyer's Market in Philly in 3 weeks. I have to put new elements in tomorrow. I'm over-joyed about that. :^)

Jeff

is this at all similar?
Please keep us posted, Nancy. The only spots we've seen like that are those Robby obtained with his version of the MC6G 'oatmeal" and those we see on the shocking shino, which has no manganese.
~j&j

Nancy Darm Kuefler said:
Dan is opening a studio/school in San Jose. I hope to see him in April when I go out to San Jose again, and will try to remember to ask him about this yellow glaze.
Haven't forgotten these tests or to post the results, but we have been slammed since the last part of Feb and trying to get caught up. Hopefully will get to start testing again in a couple of weeks.

Jeff
The top glaze looks like my dry yellow pumpkin (from Sankey Glaze Database) with a tinge of perhaps Vanadium. Below are some double walled S&P shakers with the dry yellow pumpkin glaze. I definitely get the iron specks with it.
Attachments:
Hi Nancy,  Not sure if you are still replying to this post but I love this dry yellow pumpkin glaze and am wondering if you would share the recipe with me.  Also - is it food safe.  I'm brand new to this website - so happy to find it...  any help with a nice matte - semi-matte light yellow glaze would be appreciated.  Love this one with the speckles.  Thanks Nancy - happy potting.   Beth
Recipe Name:  Dry Yellow Pumpkin

Cone:  6     Color:  straw yellow w/iron spccks
Firing:       Surface:  Matte

Amount     Ingredient
40          Kaolin--EPK
19          Dolomite
18          Frit--Ferro 3134
16          Spodumene--Foote
8          Silica

101         Total

Additives
6          Rutile
14          Titanium Dioxide

Unity          Oxide
.092           Li2O
.095           Na2O
.011           K2O
.293           MgO
.509           CaO
1.000          Total

.554           Al2O3
.177           B2O3
.013           Fe2O3

2.222           SiO2
.004           TiO2
.001           P2O5

4          Ratio
63.6            Exp

Comments:  Toasty Orange-Rust where thicker, yellow where thinner. Slow cooling makes this glaze too matte.
-----------------------------------
Calculations by GlazeMaster™
www.masteringglazes.com
------------------------------------
Thanks so much Nancy.  You state that slow cooling makes this glaze too matte.  When I fire my skutt electric kiln I use a very simple program cone 6 - medium - no hold, and I just let it cool down to about 300 before I prop open the kiln a little.  Could you please explain to me what a slow cooling is and how I could avoid this as I do not want the glaze to be too matte.   Probably a really elementary question :)   Thanks for your help I so appreciate it.   
Thank you Nancy - I will try that.  Have a great day :)

Nancy Darm Kuefler said:

Hi Beth,

I don't have the recipe for this glaze, and don't have time to read through the whole thread right now, but Dan Dermer opened a studio/school in San Jose called Higher Fire. You could Google it and either email or call him and see if he would be willing to share what he knows. It is a beautiful glaze from the pictures.

Good luck!  Nancy

Some people program in a slow cooling program for matte glazes so that they intentionally build in a down ramp of say 125 degrees per hour cooling down to 1400 degrees before letting the kiln shut off by itself. This I found makes the DYP too chalky. If you just fire to cone 6 and let the kiln naturally cool like you're doing, it should be fine.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Videos

• Add Videos

Use These Links to Support Us

Low cost flat lapping disc can be used on you potters wheel if you, drill bat pin holes in it, and provide a trickle of water to cool it. At amazon.com, 120 grit for aggressive material removal. Click the image to purchase 

Members have had great things to say about John Britt's new book, Mid-Range Glazes. Click the image to buy from Amazon.com

Purchase Glazes Cone 6 by Michael Bailey, The Potters Book of Glaze Recipes by Emmanuel Cooper, or Making Marks by Robin Hopper, all available at amazon.comMastering Cone 6 Glazes by John Hesselberth & Ron Roy is now out of print.

Harbor Freight is a great place to find unbeatable prices for better HVLP spray guns with stainless steel parts and serviceable economy models, as well as detail guns, all tested by our members for spraying glazes, as well as compressors to power the guns. As yet no one has tested and commented on the remarkably inexpensive air brushes at harbor freight.

The critter siphon gun is a spray alternative that is well liked by some of our members, and is available at amazon.

Amazon is also a competitive source for photo light tents for shooting professional quality pictures of your work. They also have the EZ Cube brand favored by several of our members. You might also want to purchase the book Photographing Arts, Crafts and Collectibles . . .

If you are up to creating videos of your work or techniques you might want to invest in a flip video camera

Following are a few scales useful for potters. Ohaus Triple Pro Mechanical Triple Beam Balance, 2610g x 0.1g, with Tare $169.00

And finally a low cost clone of the OHaus. The Adam Equipment TBB2610T Triple Beam Mechanical Balance With Tare Beam $99.62

ebay is a great alternative for many tools and the equipment used in the ceramics studio - kilns, wheels, extruders, slab rollers are often listed there both new and used.

Tips for Members

If you just want to spout off, it is best accomplished as a blog posting. If you want to get more guidance and ideas from other members, ask a question as a new discussion topic. In the upper right corner of the lists for both types of posting, you will find an "+Add " button. Clicking it will open an editor where you create your posting. 4/16/2014

© 2024   Created by Andrea Wolf.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service