I have been working on a yellow matte glaze. One of our interns left a bucket of glaze and it looks like the glaze on the apple baker. I have been trying to repeat the glaze and the small ikebana form is as close as I have come. I know it's an iron based yellow as the glaze is red in the bucket. The intern was heading out west and I have not been able to find her. Does anyone have any idea what I could add to mine to make it more yellow? I'm thinking some rutile. Thanks for any advice.

Jeff

Views: 2871

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It is a ^6 oxidation glaze. I'm getting closer, but can't quite get the yellow to come out.

Jeff
Highwater's Red Rock

Nancy Darm Kuefler said:
Love it. Reminds me of a ^10 Bird Matte. What kind of clay?
We certain you've thought of vanadium. But how does it act with iron in the glaze?
If iron is present, wouldn't a better bet be Val Cushing's Tenmoku Gold?
Zoophagous posted a recipe on our TeaDust Forum.

http://cone6pots.ning.com/forum/topics/tea-dust-glaze?id=2103784%3A...

~joan worley and jess mckenzie
Here's something more on Val's Tenmoku Gold

http://www.frogpondpottery.com/glazestability/glaze0013.html

Please let us all know how this comes out.
~j&j
J&J,

The bottom picture above has 2% Vanadium in it. I didn't know whether to add more Vanadium or try Ochre. Thought about rutile. The unknown glaze in the bucket is iron red, so I don't know what makes it yellow on the pot.

Jeff
Could chromium be in it, or some kind of Vanadium Zirconian Stain, or a Praseodymium Stain? I just looked up any compound that would turn a glaze yellow. The Praseodymium Stain seems like the best choice if the rutile option dosent work out because it is best in oxidation, and for some reason I feel like there might be a small amount of tin in the glaze.... Also, I have noticed that .1% cobalt carb is usually in most of the yellow glazes I have been looking at from various sites (never tested any, or saved any recipes)
You might want to look at some of Alisa Clausen's photos, if you haven't already.
See
http://tinyurl.com/yz6luwa
which should show you V's Tenmoku Gold that's full of pyroxene (we guess) crystals.

But click also to the right on
iron,Ochre, Browns ^6 Ox (Set)
There's one called 'Dry Pumpkin' that might look yellow on your Red Rock.
Just a WAG
~j&j
J&J

Thanks again, I have tested Alisa's Dry Pumpkin and the Butterscotch, but don't get the iron spots with them. But looking at the recipes again has given me a couple of ideas to try in mine.

Jeff
Please keep us posted. We love a mystery.
BTW, we're not familiar with that clay body--we thought the spots came from it, not the glaze, given your second photo.
This has been a great lesson on the importance of keeping a notebook, as well as good labels. Perhaps she was a good intern in other respects.
j&j
Jeff Gieringer said:
J&J

Thanks again, I have tested Alisa's Dry Pumpkin and the Butterscotch, but don't get the iron spots with them. But looking at the recipes again has given me a couple of ideas to try in mine.

Jeff
One last shot. (We keep running across these):

See the discussion--especially the Dan Dermer msg-- at

http://www.potters.org/subject27988.htm

There's some talk about crystals, but they don't seem to say what color those are.

Good luck...~j&j
J&J,

The spots do come from the glaze, that's why I couldn't understand why they didn't show up with Alisa's 2 glazes. I'll keep you updated as we continue our testing.

Jeff

Joan Worley/Jess McKenzie said:
BTW, we're not familiar with that clay body--we thought the spots came from it, not the glaze, given your second photo.

Jeff
We hope you do keep us updated. It is truly a mystery--if you strain that glaze and find find lots of mm-size hunks of rust we won't be a bit surprised...;-)
~j&j

Jeff Gieringer said:
J&J,

The spots do come from the glaze, that's why I couldn't understand why they didn't show up with Alisa's 2 glazes. I'll keep you updated as we continue our testing.

Jeff

Joan Worley/Jess McKenzie said:

Jeff

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Videos

• Add Videos

Use These Links to Support Us

Low cost flat lapping disc can be used on you potters wheel if you, drill bat pin holes in it, and provide a trickle of water to cool it. At amazon.com, 120 grit for aggressive material removal. Click the image to purchase 

Members have had great things to say about John Britt's new book, Mid-Range Glazes. Click the image to buy from Amazon.com

Purchase Glazes Cone 6 by Michael Bailey, The Potters Book of Glaze Recipes by Emmanuel Cooper, or Making Marks by Robin Hopper, all available at amazon.comMastering Cone 6 Glazes by John Hesselberth & Ron Roy is now out of print.

Harbor Freight is a great place to find unbeatable prices for better HVLP spray guns with stainless steel parts and serviceable economy models, as well as detail guns, all tested by our members for spraying glazes, as well as compressors to power the guns. As yet no one has tested and commented on the remarkably inexpensive air brushes at harbor freight.

The critter siphon gun is a spray alternative that is well liked by some of our members, and is available at amazon.

Amazon is also a competitive source for photo light tents for shooting professional quality pictures of your work. They also have the EZ Cube brand favored by several of our members. You might also want to purchase the book Photographing Arts, Crafts and Collectibles . . .

If you are up to creating videos of your work or techniques you might want to invest in a flip video camera

Following are a few scales useful for potters. Ohaus Triple Pro Mechanical Triple Beam Balance, 2610g x 0.1g, with Tare $169.00

And finally a low cost clone of the OHaus. The Adam Equipment TBB2610T Triple Beam Mechanical Balance With Tare Beam $99.62

ebay is a great alternative for many tools and the equipment used in the ceramics studio - kilns, wheels, extruders, slab rollers are often listed there both new and used.

Tips for Members

If you just want to spout off, it is best accomplished as a blog posting. If you want to get more guidance and ideas from other members, ask a question as a new discussion topic. In the upper right corner of the lists for both types of posting, you will find an "+Add " button. Clicking it will open an editor where you create your posting. 4/16/2014

© 2024   Created by Andrea Wolf.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service