I've recently enjoyed doing this decoration on some spoon rests. Basically stabbing a rib into the soft clay repeatedly while the wheel is spinning.

Does anyone know the name for this technique if there is one? I'd like to see how other people have used it on pots.


Views: 192


Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Good question.  It's probably got a specific name in some other language (Korean, Chinese, or Japanese?).  Hopefully it's more elegant than "kinda-sorta soft-clay chattering"

This begs the question:

Does anyone know of a good resource for pottery terms in other languages (ala "kintsugi")?  I geek out on that stuff and have yet to find anything satisfactory.

Nice work, too, Tom.

Good luck!

That would make for an awesome garlic plate if your into that sort of thing. I know people pour olive oil in them and then rub garlic for bread dip. I don't do it, but I have seen plates like that. I doubt you care about this, but it is just another way to utilize that technique if your selling pots with it. 

I have no idea what it is called. A lot of people do a slip decoration similar to that. Either way nice patterns.

Good idea for garlic plate Joseph, I might try some of those sometime.

Reply to Discussion



  • Add Videos
  • View All

Use These Links to Support Us

Low cost flat lapping disc can be used on you potters wheel if you, drill bat pin holes in it, and provide a trickle of water to cool it. At amazon.com, 120 grit for aggressive material removal. Click the image to purchase 

Members have had great things to say about John Britt's new book, Mid-Range Glazes. Click the image to buy from Amazon.com

Purchase Glazes Cone 6 by Michael Bailey, The Potters Book of Glaze Recipes by Emmanuel Cooper, or Making Marks by Robin Hopper, all available at amazon.comMastering Cone 6 Glazes by John Hesselberth & Ron Roy is now out of print.

Harbor Freight is a great place to find unbeatable prices for better HVLP spray guns with stainless steel parts and serviceable economy models, as well as detail guns, all tested by our members for spraying glazes, as well as compressors to power the guns. As yet no one has tested and commented on the remarkably inexpensive air brushes at harbor freight.

The critter siphon gun is a spray alternative that is well liked by some of our members, and is available at amazon.

Amazon is also a competitive source for photo light tents for shooting professional quality pictures of your work. They also have the EZ Cube brand favored by several of our members. You might also want to purchase the book Photographing Arts, Crafts and Collectibles . . .

If you are up to creating videos of your work or techniques you might want to invest in a flip video camera

Following are a few scales useful for potters. Ohaus Triple Pro Mechanical Triple Beam Balance, 2610g x 0.1g, with Tare $169.00

And finally a low cost clone of the OHaus. The Adam Equipment TBB2610T Triple Beam Mechanical Balance With Tare Beam $99.62

ebay is a great alternative for many tools and the equipment used in the ceramics studio - kilns, wheels, extruders, slab rollers are often listed there both new and used.

Tips for Members

If you just want to spout off, it is best accomplished as a blog posting. If you want to get more guidance and ideas from other members, ask a question as a new discussion topic. In the upper right corner of the lists for both types of posting, you will find an "+Add " button. Clicking it will open an editor where you create your posting. 4/16/2014

© 2022   Created by Andrea Wolf.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service