Consider this the "Peoples Choice Awards" and vote for your favorites. Use this forum to call attention to the best things you found posted on our network. Photographs, pots, sculptures, discussions, how-to articles, blog postings, videos, anything, really. Recognition of anything that makes cone6pots a valuable resource for you. 

There is a LOT of information on the site and not everyone has the time to sift through it all.  Let's put some signposts here to direct members to the really good stuff.

Views: 1128

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

My first vote for the Best of 2010 on the cone6pots network is for the "Best Photo Album".  And the winner is . . . . Steven Hill for his album "Steven Hill's first images of ^6 pots".  The photo quality is great and the pots themselves are magnificent.  The only downgrade I can think of is for the lack of artist's commentary on the pieces, but as we all know, Steven is a very busy man. As you may or may not know, Steven has had great success in transitioning from gas reduction firing at cone 9-10 to electric firing in oxidation to cone 6 while maintaining and even improving on his characteristic layered glaze effects.  Hats off to Steven Hill.
Charan Sachar has created and posted two extraordinary technique videos.  The first was about a simple home-made slip application device and how to use it with great control.  Then he came back in 2010 with a beautiful demonstration of his technique for slab built tumblers. The video quality and musical accompaniment are top notch.  For these reasons he gets my vote for the "Best Member Created Video of 2010" on the cone6pots network.

My vote for the best sculpture of 2010 goes to Deborah Mitchell's "Three Hands" which is beautiful and macabre at the same time.  Had Laurie Niswander posted her "Angel" and "Trinity" sculptures twelve days later, then she would have gotten my vote for either or both of them, but alas they were posted in 2009.  So I give her a runner up vote for "Bacchus" which was posted on her etsy site in January, and was presumably created in 2010.

2010 was a big year for our network and saw a number of discussion topics leading to lively discourse.  None of the discussions brought out as much commentary as the "Tea Dust Glaze" forum topic started by Joan Worley/Jess McKenzie.  It was started late in 2009 and kept going right into 2010.  So they get my vote for the best discussion of 2010.

As no one else has jumped into this topic of recognizing the best things that were posted on the cone6pots network in 2010, it kind of gives me carte blanche to stuff the ballot box with all my favorites.  And hey! As long as I'm doing that, I might as well vote for myself, right?  For the category of "Best and Most Useful How-to-Do-It" article of 2010, I vote with total humility for my own article "How to Down-Fire a Manual Kiln with a Dawson Kiln Sitter". It is a compelling tale of a technically challenged hero overcoming tremendous obstacles to get his iron reds to turn RED. Ahh! There's nothing like a story with a happy ending. 

I would have to agree with George about the forum topic "Tea Dust Glaze". It was VERY informative, as it gave me some ideas for the reason why I kept getting it on my work.
Hi George - I just wanted to take a moment and thank you for putting this site together.  No doubt, it has been a huge pile of work and has taken you a lot of hours to put together!  The site has a lot of potential and although I find that I visit it intermittently, when I do get time to drop by, I get sucked right in.  Again, thanks - Susan
I vote for the existence of the site as the best thing for right now.  It may be what gets me through figuring out what to do after you come home from a SH workshop inspired and over whelmed!!  As I get more comfortable with the site and how it works, I will contribute more.  I did the first tests of the glazes from the workshop I attended in late Feb. today so I will know something about how I'm doing soon.  It has been challenging to get the glazes together, since there aren't others around me close that are doing this sort of work.

Anthony Anderson: I find the shots of his pieces, with the inset info on the coats, so helpful. A true before, with info, and after shot. Thank you!

Stacy, what site or thread are you finding that info on?
I heartily agree, Anthony's photos are "Da Bomb"!
Go to Anthony's profile page, scroll down to the slideshow, and click the "View All" link to see thumbnails of all of his pictures.  Click on the one you want to see in detail.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Videos

• Add Videos

Use These Links to Support Us

Low cost flat lapping disc can be used on you potters wheel if you, drill bat pin holes in it, and provide a trickle of water to cool it. At amazon.com, 120 grit for aggressive material removal. Click the image to purchase 

Members have had great things to say about John Britt's new book, Mid-Range Glazes. Click the image to buy from Amazon.com

Purchase Glazes Cone 6 by Michael Bailey, The Potters Book of Glaze Recipes by Emmanuel Cooper, or Making Marks by Robin Hopper, all available at amazon.comMastering Cone 6 Glazes by John Hesselberth & Ron Roy is now out of print.

Harbor Freight is a great place to find unbeatable prices for better HVLP spray guns with stainless steel parts and serviceable economy models, as well as detail guns, all tested by our members for spraying glazes, as well as compressors to power the guns. As yet no one has tested and commented on the remarkably inexpensive air brushes at harbor freight.

The critter siphon gun is a spray alternative that is well liked by some of our members, and is available at amazon.

Amazon is also a competitive source for photo light tents for shooting professional quality pictures of your work. They also have the EZ Cube brand favored by several of our members. You might also want to purchase the book Photographing Arts, Crafts and Collectibles . . .

If you are up to creating videos of your work or techniques you might want to invest in a flip video camera

Following are a few scales useful for potters. Ohaus Triple Pro Mechanical Triple Beam Balance, 2610g x 0.1g, with Tare $169.00

And finally a low cost clone of the OHaus. The Adam Equipment TBB2610T Triple Beam Mechanical Balance With Tare Beam $99.62

ebay is a great alternative for many tools and the equipment used in the ceramics studio - kilns, wheels, extruders, slab rollers are often listed there both new and used.

Tips for Members

If you just want to spout off, it is best accomplished as a blog posting. If you want to get more guidance and ideas from other members, ask a question as a new discussion topic. In the upper right corner of the lists for both types of posting, you will find an "+Add " button. Clicking it will open an editor where you create your posting. 4/16/2014

© 2024   Created by Andrea Wolf.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service