Do you use the links when you buy?  Do you understand the importance to our network that your use could mean?

What other links should we add?  Would you use them more if they were presented in a different format?  Such as a separate tab which could be labeled Commerce... Sub tabs with the listings.  I would love to have one to EVERYTHING AMAZON.  I purchase from them whenever possible because they tend to offer the best prices.

Just some thoughts....

Views: 115

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks, Nadine

I will be writing up details about how we get commissions on sales that are generated through the skimlinks affiliate network, when the purchase originates from a link on the c6p network. It is near the top of my To Do list, as part of my effort to inform the steering commmittee, and the general membership on the financial workings of the network.  

I don't often buy things myself, but would definitely try use your links if I did.

From the little web site work I did, I thought writing an article about a subject eg. an article all about glaze recipes, or a review of some equipment, and putting buy links at the bottom, or throughout the page would yield better results. 

They would look more appealing with images to click, rather than a big lump of text. Maybe you could work it out so the images changed each time a new page was loaded, and just have like  3 image links at a time...

I'm sure amazon do a widget that lets you embed image links in your site.

Do you not think using something like adsense instead of links would be better, or have your tried that?

Tom,  Thanks for the great reply!   I just want our network to be as good as it can be and that always takes money.  George and the steering committee will have plenty to consider.  I love your idea for the article with images and links there,  that would probably be far more remunerative and is exactly what I was thinking about.

Skimlinks scans our entire site and turns mention of products into shopping links that return commissions. They are not heavy handed, so the links are not dominating our discussions. I have noticed several links that send you to a product aggregator, rather than directly to a merchant. I hate that, because the aggregators more often than not don't list anything that you might actually be looking for.

If you notice particularly annoying links, send me a note of the locations on our site, and I can remove them.

This was something I was going to talk about on the steering committee, but we might as well continue it here.

George I will check each of our links and make some notes,  sorry it won't happen today, but soon.  I really love the idea of having new material,  such as "how to" content with images and links for the required products in a soft way at the bottom of the content.  Not a hard sell approach but could mean revenue for us.

George Lewter said:

Skimlinks scans our entire site and turns mention of products into shopping links that return commissions. They are not heavy handed, so the links are not dominating our discussions. I have noticed several links that send you to a product aggregator, rather than directly to a merchant. I hate that, because the aggregators more often than not don't list anything that you might actually be looking for.

If you notice particularly annoying links, send me a note of the locations on our site, and I can remove them.

This was something I was going to talk about on the steering committee, but we might as well continue it here.

I think that we are missing a great opportunity to get more income from sponsorships.  I would be happy to work on this part of our network on the new site you are working on George.  Re what we are missing:  Why not have links to suppliers for glaze materials such as US Pigment,  Bennett's, Laguna etc....Again I would prefer to see all the commercial support stuff on a separate page with a tab on the main navigation links.

That's a terrific idea Nadine.  Some of the smaller vendors like US Pigment may not yet have a click-through commission program as larger vendors like Amazon do, but we might be able to assist them in this.

Aggregator websites are useless.  The low-cost vendor is almost always one who charges outsized shipping costs or a handling fee.  Even when for shopping for chemical raw materials I need to add -alibaba to avoid having most of my search result being Chinese firms offering material by the metric ton.

George Lewter said:

Thanks NORM, It would be easy to contact a bunch of people and have them sponsor us. I do understand the -alibaba reference, they are most annoying, most of uf don't buy in tonnage. For this kind of program to work we simply have to make it easy for members to use it.

Norm Stuart said:

That's a terrific idea Nadine.  Some of the smaller vendors like US Pigment may not yet have a click-through commission program as larger vendors like Amazon do, but we might be able to assist them in this.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Videos

• Add Videos

Use These Links to Support Us

Low cost flat lapping disc can be used on you potters wheel if you, drill bat pin holes in it, and provide a trickle of water to cool it. At amazon.com, 120 grit for aggressive material removal. Click the image to purchase 

Members have had great things to say about John Britt's new book, Mid-Range Glazes. Click the image to buy from Amazon.com

Purchase Glazes Cone 6 by Michael Bailey, The Potters Book of Glaze Recipes by Emmanuel Cooper, or Making Marks by Robin Hopper, all available at amazon.comMastering Cone 6 Glazes by John Hesselberth & Ron Roy is now out of print.

Harbor Freight is a great place to find unbeatable prices for better HVLP spray guns with stainless steel parts and serviceable economy models, as well as detail guns, all tested by our members for spraying glazes, as well as compressors to power the guns. As yet no one has tested and commented on the remarkably inexpensive air brushes at harbor freight.

The critter siphon gun is a spray alternative that is well liked by some of our members, and is available at amazon.

Amazon is also a competitive source for photo light tents for shooting professional quality pictures of your work. They also have the EZ Cube brand favored by several of our members. You might also want to purchase the book Photographing Arts, Crafts and Collectibles . . .

If you are up to creating videos of your work or techniques you might want to invest in a flip video camera

Following are a few scales useful for potters. Ohaus Triple Pro Mechanical Triple Beam Balance, 2610g x 0.1g, with Tare $169.00

And finally a low cost clone of the OHaus. The Adam Equipment TBB2610T Triple Beam Mechanical Balance With Tare Beam $99.62

ebay is a great alternative for many tools and the equipment used in the ceramics studio - kilns, wheels, extruders, slab rollers are often listed there both new and used.

Tips for Members

If you just want to spout off, it is best accomplished as a blog posting. If you want to get more guidance and ideas from other members, ask a question as a new discussion topic. In the upper right corner of the lists for both types of posting, you will find an "+Add " button. Clicking it will open an editor where you create your posting. 4/16/2014

© 2024   Created by Andrea Wolf.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service