Does anyone have some advice for spraying glazes?  I use a small airbrush to spray underglazes and of course, have great luck with them going on smoothly.  I don't want to use my really good airbrush for my glazes though because I understand it is very hard on them due to the particle size, and of course I don't want to screen the glazes too finely because the particles give me the effects I'm looking for.  I'm using a larger automotive spray gun I bought at Canadian Tire but it constantly plugs on me and sometimes won't even start spraying.  I did brush my glazes on but really want a much smoother effect and I use a lot of different glazes in a small studio so don't have the space for more than a couple of them in big pails.

NOTE: Replies are posted from oldest to newest, so the most recent posts will be at the bottom of the last page.

Views: 4923

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thank you Martha, I saw some manifolds at Princess Auto the other day so I'll go back and get one.  I keep my glazes in mason jars so that may also be a good solution for me but is that a gravity or siphon system? 
Kathy, the little critter is a siphon, but for me the multiple bottles is a such a plus, and it is much easier to fill or change glazes, just twist off the bottle stick the hose into a bucket of water that I keep handy on my glaze table right beside the other colors I plan on using, so easy.
I just checked out the critter spray gun and discovered it is made in Canada and the Lee Valley in Calgary has them so as soon as I can I'm going to get one.

Links for spraying information and equipment available in the US.

Here is a good general glaze spraying primer. http://www.luepottery.hwy.com.au/PDF/glaze%20spray.pdf

Harbor Freight is a good place to go for spray equipment at bargain prices.

Better gun http://www.harborfreight.com/high-volume-low-pressure-gravity-feed-...

Cheaper gun but still very serviceable you could get 1/2 dozen and not have to clean between glazes. http://www.harborfreight.com/20-oz-high-volume-low-pressure-gravity...

This is a good sized compressor for glaze spraying. http://www.harborfreight.com/2-hp-8-gallon-125-psi-portable-air-com...

Hi Kathy,  A Critter spray gun works great...it takes a pint canning jar so that you can interchange glazes with out trouble..      http://www.bigceramicstore.com/supplies/sprayguns.htm

I purchased my critter at Lee Valley and absolutely love it!  I find it very easy to clean and use and at the rate I work I think it may be all I need in the way of a spray gun along with my airbrush.  After an unsuccessful firing due to a thin glaze coat, I tried, tried again and I am very happy with the way my pieces look and the wonderful funky effects I am seeing.  I will post photos soon.  Now I just need to figure out how to keep my mugs from splitting when I single fire.  Even using a heat gun to dry each glaze coat isn't fixing the problem.
Even through I do not single fire...I always glaze the interiors of my vessels 24-48 hours prior to spraying the exteriors. If your pots are thin this may solve your problem. The saturation into the walls becomes an issue. Even between spraying glazes on the exterior the vessels are given time to dry. Hope you enjoy your critter! Can't wait to see your pix!
I actually have a couple of questions about spraying glazes. Is the Critter siphon gun appropriate to use when glazing an entire pot, as opposed to a section of a pot?  And can it be used to spray slips?
I use mine for spraying entire pots but it is great too if you want to highlight a smaller area with another color. I've used cold wax to mask an area off and there are many other ways to to smaller areas. I haven't tried it wit slips but if they were the right consistency and fine enough I think it would work very well, I'll have to try it!

I bought a sprayer that was meant to attach to a vacuum cleaner/blower.  I've been using it for kiln wash applications as well as glazing and it works great.  Here's an amazon link where you can find it:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0016PKWGU/sr=8-2/qid=1320032702/r...

I bought mine for less than $10 and it's totally worth it.  I use mine with my Craftsman Shopvac and it's easy to clean with just water and a rag.

Rebecca McMann posed this question to me. I'm passing it on to this topic.

I tried spraying glazes for the first time last night, but my hvlp gun sprayed intermittently, even though I sieved many of the glazes. It's a very sensitive gun and it sprays fine with water. I was wondering if my glaze is too thick for the gun. I tried pulling out the needle a ways to let more glaze out, but then I got such huge coverage, and my pots are small. Any ideas on how to adjust my gun? Do I need to thin my glaze more? Do I need a detail gun? I don't want to spray any more of my pots until I can get a consistent stream. Any help is appreciated! Thanks.

Patricia Bridges has her video posted at http://ceramicartsdaily.org/pottery-making-techniques/ceramic-glazi... 

There are links to other spray techniques and equipment as well.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Videos

• Add Videos

Use These Links to Support Us

Low cost flat lapping disc can be used on you potters wheel if you, drill bat pin holes in it, and provide a trickle of water to cool it. At amazon.com, 120 grit for aggressive material removal. Click the image to purchase 

Members have had great things to say about John Britt's new book, Mid-Range Glazes. Click the image to buy from Amazon.com

Purchase Glazes Cone 6 by Michael Bailey, The Potters Book of Glaze Recipes by Emmanuel Cooper, or Making Marks by Robin Hopper, all available at amazon.comMastering Cone 6 Glazes by John Hesselberth & Ron Roy is now out of print.

Harbor Freight is a great place to find unbeatable prices for better HVLP spray guns with stainless steel parts and serviceable economy models, as well as detail guns, all tested by our members for spraying glazes, as well as compressors to power the guns. As yet no one has tested and commented on the remarkably inexpensive air brushes at harbor freight.

The critter siphon gun is a spray alternative that is well liked by some of our members, and is available at amazon.

Amazon is also a competitive source for photo light tents for shooting professional quality pictures of your work. They also have the EZ Cube brand favored by several of our members. You might also want to purchase the book Photographing Arts, Crafts and Collectibles . . .

If you are up to creating videos of your work or techniques you might want to invest in a flip video camera

Following are a few scales useful for potters. Ohaus Triple Pro Mechanical Triple Beam Balance, 2610g x 0.1g, with Tare $169.00

And finally a low cost clone of the OHaus. The Adam Equipment TBB2610T Triple Beam Mechanical Balance With Tare Beam $99.62

ebay is a great alternative for many tools and the equipment used in the ceramics studio - kilns, wheels, extruders, slab rollers are often listed there both new and used.

Tips for Members

If you just want to spout off, it is best accomplished as a blog posting. If you want to get more guidance and ideas from other members, ask a question as a new discussion topic. In the upper right corner of the lists for both types of posting, you will find an "+Add " button. Clicking it will open an editor where you create your posting. 4/16/2014

© 2024   Created by Andrea Wolf.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service