I have been gifted 25 lb's(dry) of Opulence matt base(cone 6). and am wondering what are some of the amts of coloring oxides/carbonates and opacifiers will look good with this base.

There's no real information on Mid South's web page, though I'll call them later for any info.

For starters, I was thinking of testing some zircopax, about 6-8% and some red iron ox about 2% for a cream, hard to tell from the web pixs if this is a clear base or what.

Hope someone might have a thought, thanks

Wyndham

Views: 239

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

May I Suggest. Weigh up 3 or 4, 100 gram batches. Make a pile of test tiles.  Add water to the first 100 grams and dip a tile so you can see what the base looks like and how well it fits your clay. Then add a small amount of zircopax and dip, add a measured amount more and dip again.( looking through some of my tests 8% to 11.5% turned some of my clears into a white, but it would depend on the base)  The effects of what you add will not be exact because you are using up a little bit of the base each time you dip, but it will give you a rough idea. Take another 100 gram batch and add increments of iron. 2%, dip,4% dip,6% dip,8% dip. each time you add 2 % more to the first 100 grams. Do the same with copper and cobalt( .2% .4% cobalt is very strong. a full % is a lot) Try rutile and yellow ocher. you get the point. Then pour 2 of the container together say copper and iron. You might have 200 grams of base -the dips, with 8% copper & 8 % iron. You might make a lot of ugly or you might get a nice glaze. Also you can take a tile and dip it twice in one batch and then just dip the top in another. I leave room at the base of my tile in case it runs real bad and if I am real afraid say an ash glaze I put the tiles on a piece of scrape bisque ware so I do not damage my shelves. Keep good records. You can mark you test tile with red iron oxide mixed with bentonite like an ink with a small paint brush. This may all be old news to you, I do not know how much testing you have done,  but I find it is a great way to get the most out of a 100 gram batch. If you find something you like then you can weigh it out and see it in it's true proportions. It will give you a gradient of how much oxide it takes to have a visual effect. 2% changes might not do much with one oxide so the next time do increments of 5%. That my 2 cents. happy firing 

Kabe gives good advice. Very few glazes result in a slam dunk on the first trial.

The only thing I would add to this is to write down everything you do  and mark the tiles with a black slip or something so that you know which test is which when they come out of the kiln.

Thanks,Oh I will definitely do some line test, but thought someone here might know a bit about the basic look of the matt base.

I called mid south and found that it has some zinc in it, so any chrome will go muddy brown and that it's more of a satin matt and a bit opaque.

I also have some pieces on both white cone 6 & speckled brownstone for testing.

I'll post pixs if anything looks promising

Wyndham

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Videos

• Add Videos

Use These Links to Support Us

Low cost flat lapping disc can be used on you potters wheel if you, drill bat pin holes in it, and provide a trickle of water to cool it. At amazon.com, 120 grit for aggressive material removal. Click the image to purchase 

Members have had great things to say about John Britt's new book, Mid-Range Glazes. Click the image to buy from Amazon.com

Purchase Glazes Cone 6 by Michael Bailey, The Potters Book of Glaze Recipes by Emmanuel Cooper, or Making Marks by Robin Hopper, all available at amazon.comMastering Cone 6 Glazes by John Hesselberth & Ron Roy is now out of print.

Harbor Freight is a great place to find unbeatable prices for better HVLP spray guns with stainless steel parts and serviceable economy models, as well as detail guns, all tested by our members for spraying glazes, as well as compressors to power the guns. As yet no one has tested and commented on the remarkably inexpensive air brushes at harbor freight.

The critter siphon gun is a spray alternative that is well liked by some of our members, and is available at amazon.

Amazon is also a competitive source for photo light tents for shooting professional quality pictures of your work. They also have the EZ Cube brand favored by several of our members. You might also want to purchase the book Photographing Arts, Crafts and Collectibles . . .

If you are up to creating videos of your work or techniques you might want to invest in a flip video camera

Following are a few scales useful for potters. Ohaus Triple Pro Mechanical Triple Beam Balance, 2610g x 0.1g, with Tare $169.00

And finally a low cost clone of the OHaus. The Adam Equipment TBB2610T Triple Beam Mechanical Balance With Tare Beam $99.62

ebay is a great alternative for many tools and the equipment used in the ceramics studio - kilns, wheels, extruders, slab rollers are often listed there both new and used.

Tips for Members

If you just want to spout off, it is best accomplished as a blog posting. If you want to get more guidance and ideas from other members, ask a question as a new discussion topic. In the upper right corner of the lists for both types of posting, you will find an "+Add " button. Clicking it will open an editor where you create your posting. 4/16/2014

© 2024   Created by Andrea Wolf.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service