I bought the different dry raw materials and a precise scale, for this reason this time I weighed the ingredients precisely. However, I still use a very dense ash slip instead of dried ash: drying the ash would be too much work at the moment.

I'm preparing the basic recipes for the next experiments. For now I have prepared the first two recipes based on the first experiments: 

First recipe: 

- 1 kg potassium feldspar 

- 1 kg ball clay 

- 170 gr bentonite 

- 500 ml pheatine 

- 2 liters of water 

- 4 kg dense ash slip

Second recipe: 

- 1 kg potassium feldspar 

- 1 kg china clay

- 170 gr bentonite 

- 500 ml pheatine 

- 2 liters of water 

- 4 kg dense ash slip

I'm looking for other simple basic recipes to try. Something that can introduce someting new for the experiments with oxides. For this reason I looked to my books searching ideas. 

Ideas or advice are very wellcome!!!

I have tried to modify some recipes of "Glazes cone 6 1240°C" book of Michael Bailey: exchanging whiting with wood ash, dolomite with wood ash and talc, exchanging soda feldspar and litium carbonate with spodumene, adding 5% bentonite for single firing. I am trying to modify a cone 8 recipe of the book "colour in glazes" of Linda Bloomfield exchanging soda feldspar with spodumene and calcium borate frit with colemanite, exchanging whiting with wood ash and using a litle less quartz hoping to fire successfully at 1240°C instead of cone 8.

Looking to my books these are some ideas to try:

Recipe 3 (recipe T13 modified from Michael Bailey book): 

830gr soda feldspar, 130 china clay, 140 bentonite, 430 quartz, 120 Zinc oxide, 1,5 kg wood ash dense slip. And pheatine.

Recipe 4 (recipe T14 modified from Michael Bailey book):

1kg spodumene, 500gr china clay, 160 gr bentonite, 500gr dense wood ash slip, 100gr talc, 100gr zinc oxide, 240gr quartz.

Recipe 5 (recipe OR1 modified from Michael Bailey book):

1kg spodumene, 130gr china clay, 150gr bentonite, 322gr bone ash, 16gr litio carbonate, 362gr talc, 244gr quartz

Recipe 6 (recipe for chromium green modified from Linda Bloomfield book):

1000gr spodumene, 320gr colemanite, 1000gr dense wood ash slip, 107gr china clay, 300gr quartz, 107gr bentonite.

I hope to use this recipe with chromium to obtain a green glaze.

Views: 297

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Pheatine paste may itself be bentonite and water.

Fire some pheatine paste by itself. If it leaves no trace, it is an organic suspender rather than mineral like bentonite.

Smcetites like bentonite contain fluorine which is an important flux, without which ash glazes may not do much at cooler cones.

Thanks

I'm trying to use only a little of pheatine. The shop that gave me it said that can have a little of flux effect.

In my first experiment I did not use pheatine and the glazes were quite good.

I fire at 1240°C: I think it can be between cone 6 and cone 7. Very near to cone 7 probably.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Videos

• Add Videos

Use These Links to Support Us

Low cost flat lapping disc can be used on you potters wheel if you, drill bat pin holes in it, and provide a trickle of water to cool it. At amazon.com, 120 grit for aggressive material removal. Click the image to purchase 

Members have had great things to say about John Britt's new book, Mid-Range Glazes. Click the image to buy from Amazon.com

Purchase Glazes Cone 6 by Michael Bailey, The Potters Book of Glaze Recipes by Emmanuel Cooper, or Making Marks by Robin Hopper, all available at amazon.comMastering Cone 6 Glazes by John Hesselberth & Ron Roy is now out of print.

Harbor Freight is a great place to find unbeatable prices for better HVLP spray guns with stainless steel parts and serviceable economy models, as well as detail guns, all tested by our members for spraying glazes, as well as compressors to power the guns. As yet no one has tested and commented on the remarkably inexpensive air brushes at harbor freight.

The critter siphon gun is a spray alternative that is well liked by some of our members, and is available at amazon.

Amazon is also a competitive source for photo light tents for shooting professional quality pictures of your work. They also have the EZ Cube brand favored by several of our members. You might also want to purchase the book Photographing Arts, Crafts and Collectibles . . .

If you are up to creating videos of your work or techniques you might want to invest in a flip video camera

Following are a few scales useful for potters. Ohaus Triple Pro Mechanical Triple Beam Balance, 2610g x 0.1g, with Tare $169.00

And finally a low cost clone of the OHaus. The Adam Equipment TBB2610T Triple Beam Mechanical Balance With Tare Beam $99.62

ebay is a great alternative for many tools and the equipment used in the ceramics studio - kilns, wheels, extruders, slab rollers are often listed there both new and used.

Tips for Members

If you just want to spout off, it is best accomplished as a blog posting. If you want to get more guidance and ideas from other members, ask a question as a new discussion topic. In the upper right corner of the lists for both types of posting, you will find an "+Add " button. Clicking it will open an editor where you create your posting. 4/16/2014

© 2024   Created by Andrea Wolf.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service