There were 209 responses to the Survey and the results are in. I never expected such a great response and particularly the number of people who took the time to write in expanded observations beyond the simple multiple choice answers. The survey gives us much to consider as we chart the way forward for our network.  Thank you, Thank you. The complete survey results are posted here for you to review. There are links to the individual written responses to the questions that allowed comments.

Cone6pots Network Glaze Development Survey
1. How many years have you been doing ceramic arts.
  answered question 209

skipped question
  Response
Percent
Response
Count
Less than 1 year
1.4% 3
One to three years
10.5% 22
Four to Six years
18.2% 38
Six to ten years
15.8% 33
Ten to twenty years
25.4% 53
More than twenty years
28.7% 60
2. Are you familiar with the properties of glaze raw materials and performing glaze calculation,
  answered question 205

skipped question
  Response
Percent
Response
Count
Not at all familiar.
3.9% 8
Somewhat familiar.
24.9% 51
I work with existing recipes to get different colors.
31.7% 65
I sometimes modify glazes to improve performance.
25.4% 52
I frequently create and modify glazes to achieve preconceived results.
14.1% 29
Other (please specify) 8
3. Do you mix your own glazes or have them mixed from your recipes?
  answered question 208

skipped question
  Response
Percent
Response
Count
Yes - I mix my own glazes
92.3% 192
Yes - I have them mixed to order
5.3% 11
I have them mixed from recipes I don't have access to.
0.5% 1
I use commercial glazes
21.6% 45
I don't use glazes on my work   0.0% 0
4. Do you or have you used any glaze calculation software to improve your glazes, or to store your recipes?
  answered question 205

skipped question
  Response
Percent
Response
Count
No - I don't do glaze calculation.
37.1% 76
No - I do glaze calculation manually.
32.2% 66
Matrix
2.0% 4
Glazemaster
16.6% 34
HyperGlaze
2.4% 5
Insight
15.6% 32
GlazeChem
1.5% 3
5. If available on the cone6pots network, would you take fixed duration, peer-led, collaborative training in any of the following glaze subjects: Properties of glaze materials, glaze calculation, glaze chemistry, use of Insight (or other glaze software), use of the new Insight Live online glaze database.
  answered question 198

skipped question
  Response
Percent
Response
Count
No
9.1% 18
Glaze materials
63.6% 126
Glaze chemistry
67.2% 133
Glaze calculation
73.2% 145
Insight software
54.5% 108
Insight Live online Glaze Database.
65.7% 130
Other software or glaze development subjects (please specify) 16
6. Do you have the expertise and the desire to lead any online peer group classes covering glazes or other subjects of interest to our members?
  answered question 203

skipped question
  Response
Percent
Response
Count
Yes
3.4% 7
No
96.6% 196
If yes, give the subject of the class(es) you would be willing to organize and lead. 11
7. Are there any other subject areas you would like to study with a peer-group of other members?
  answered question 155

skipped question
  Response
Percent
Response
Count
Yes
43.9% 68
No
56.1% 87
If Yes, what subjects would you like to study. 73
8. The Insight Live Glaze Database will be undergoing testing very soon. If our network were to participate, how likely are you to participate by posting your recipes, and/or testing and reporting your results on existing recipes that are incompletely documented.
  answered question 206

skipped question
  Response
Percent
Response
Count
Extremely likely
18.9% 39
Very likely
31.1% 64
Moderately likely
25.7% 53
Slightly likely
17.0% 35
Not at all likely
7.3% 15
Other comments(please specify) 29
9. If you are not likely to participate, why not?
  answered question 35

skipped question
  Response
Percent
Response
Count
No time
94.3% 33
Do not believe the effort worthwhile
2.9% 1
Want to keep my glazes private
2.9% 1
Don't like working collaboratively   0.0% 0
Already have too many glazes
2.9% 1
Other reason(please specify) 30
10. Would you pay $10 per year for your cone6pots membership, if it includes group membership and access to the new Insight-Live Glaze Recipe Database, and expanded educational opportunities? An added benefit of paid membership would be to discourage scammers from joining our network.
  answered question 192

skipped question
  Response
Percent
Response
Count
Yes
90.1% 173
No
9.9% 19
Comment

Views: 265

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Some of the results were interesting. I found it interesting that just 50% would be extremely likely or very likely to participate in the Live Glaze Database, but 90.1% would be willing to pay to use your site. That strikes me as very odd!

I tend to agree with those that say this site is hard to follow. There is some good info here although I've gotten lost a few times trying to follow a discussion through the links. I check in every few days, and am still waiting to feel a sense of community.

You are absolutely right about about the chaotic disorganization of the information on the network. We can comment on photos, on people's profiles, start or respond to discussions, post blogs, do status updates, send a message to an individual, or join groups. Our members do all of these and sometimes mix them indiscriminately, or use less appropriate communication tools, which makes following a topic quite frustrating.

If you have a burning question, you can start a discussion topic on it. Type in your thoughts, and paste in all the relevant discourse you can find scattered around the network, then you will have done your part to organize the network.  The network architecture  doesn't allow me to simply move content from one place to another. I would love to take the conversations that have cropped up around some of the photos and turn them into discussions, but even as the network creator, I can't do that without starting my own discussion and as I said, pasting in the content.

If you don't feel the community here, then it may be because you are standing on the outside, looking in, waiting for someone to come to you, instead of getting involved. I could really use some administrative help to work on the very problems you raise,.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Videos

• Add Videos

Use These Links to Support Us

Low cost flat lapping disc can be used on you potters wheel if you, drill bat pin holes in it, and provide a trickle of water to cool it. At amazon.com, 120 grit for aggressive material removal. Click the image to purchase 

Members have had great things to say about John Britt's new book, Mid-Range Glazes. Click the image to buy from Amazon.com

Purchase Glazes Cone 6 by Michael Bailey, The Potters Book of Glaze Recipes by Emmanuel Cooper, or Making Marks by Robin Hopper, all available at amazon.comMastering Cone 6 Glazes by John Hesselberth & Ron Roy is now out of print.

Harbor Freight is a great place to find unbeatable prices for better HVLP spray guns with stainless steel parts and serviceable economy models, as well as detail guns, all tested by our members for spraying glazes, as well as compressors to power the guns. As yet no one has tested and commented on the remarkably inexpensive air brushes at harbor freight.

The critter siphon gun is a spray alternative that is well liked by some of our members, and is available at amazon.

Amazon is also a competitive source for photo light tents for shooting professional quality pictures of your work. They also have the EZ Cube brand favored by several of our members. You might also want to purchase the book Photographing Arts, Crafts and Collectibles . . .

If you are up to creating videos of your work or techniques you might want to invest in a flip video camera

Following are a few scales useful for potters. Ohaus Triple Pro Mechanical Triple Beam Balance, 2610g x 0.1g, with Tare $169.00

And finally a low cost clone of the OHaus. The Adam Equipment TBB2610T Triple Beam Mechanical Balance With Tare Beam $99.62

ebay is a great alternative for many tools and the equipment used in the ceramics studio - kilns, wheels, extruders, slab rollers are often listed there both new and used.

Tips for Members

If you just want to spout off, it is best accomplished as a blog posting. If you want to get more guidance and ideas from other members, ask a question as a new discussion topic. In the upper right corner of the lists for both types of posting, you will find an "+Add " button. Clicking it will open an editor where you create your posting. 4/16/2014

© 2024   Created by Andrea Wolf.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service